Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Madrid

January 14, 2020

The flight to Madrid arrived in the mid afternoon. The Prado Art Museum is open until 8:00, so I had a few hours to visit. The meseum is free after 6:00, but there was a huge line and they only let in size-limited groups every 15 minutes. Not liking my odds of getting in with a reasonable amount of time to look around, I strolled to the nearby Gardens de Buen Retiro. 

At sunset, I wandered over to the theater district. The Broadway Musical Anastasia was playing tonight (1). I asked at the box office in the best Spanish I could muster for a balcony seat for tonight. The young lady eyed me skeptically: "Do you want to do this in English?" She reminded me the show was in Spanish: "How will you understand?" "Music is universal" I said. "Sí" she replied with a smile.

I read a plot synopsis online and, except for the cramped seats (Ryanair has now legroom), I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

(1) Which was probably a more authentic Spanish experience than the ubiquitous Flamenco shows, with all foreign tourists in the audience. I had seen a Flamenco show before anyways. The crowd at Anastasia were all locals.
Waiting for curtain time


No comments:

Post a Comment