Monday, July 15, 2019

Calascibetta, Sicily

July 14, 2019

At the Catania Airport, I greeted the car rental agent with my best "buona sera." She looked at me skeptically and said in English: "You don't speak Italian, do you?" I gave my wife a hug and said "Signorina bellissima." "Oh, on your honeymoon?(1)" the agent replied. "Yes, we've only been married 31 years" I replied. We soon got our car sorted and headed west in our little Fiat 500. 

We arrived at a town called  Calascibetta on the north side of a mountain pass. After checking into a small B&B, we celebrated my wife's birthday with a marvelous meal in a small restaurant where none of the staff spoke English. I do not speak Italian, but I can read Menu Italian. 

(1) I soon learned that honeymoon in Italian is "Luna di miele," literally translated as moon of honey. 
Calascibetta


No comments:

Post a Comment