Saturday, January 20, 2018

London

January 19, 2018

My older daughter's favorite metal band (Lacuna Coil) was having a 20th anniversary gala concert in London.  I found a really cheap flight, so we both decided to go. I spent the afternoon visiting some old friends in London  and walking along the south bank of the Thames.

We stopped into the Southwark Cathedral to visit Doorkins Magnificat, the resident feline. In 2008, just as the cathedral staff was considering getting a cat to deal with the mice, the cat walked on and has stayed ever since. The man in the little shop insisted on showing me a picture of "Her Majesty, the Queen" (as he phrased it) greeting the cat.

In the evening, I went to meet my daughter at the concert venue in Kentishtown (1). Lacuna Coil was celebrating 20 years together as a band and eople came from as far away as Australia and Brazil to attend.

The concert was amazing. While I am not too familiar with their music, all the band members were very talented (the lead singer seems capable of singing anything). To enhance their 20th anniversary celebration, while they were singing, they had a troupe of acrobats dancing, climbing on thick ribbons, juggling fire, etc. The concert was definitely worth the trip to London.

Outside the hall after the concert, I chatted with a man from who had come from South Carolina just to see the show. He told me he flew into London an extra day early to make sure he did not miss the concert in case of flight delays, etc. He thought we were taking a big risk only flying in the morning of the show.

(1) She, of course, had gone earlier to ensure she was of the first in line when the doors opened to get a spot to stand near the stage. I bought a balcony seat where there are bench seats.

View of St. Paul's for the south bank
Reproduction of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
Doorkins Magnificat, Southwark Cathedral's resident mouser (Stock photo; It was too dark where we found the cat in the church for me to take a picture)
Lacuna Coil rocking the O2 Forum in Kentishtown. Note the ribbon dancers on the sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment