Friday, May 24, 2019

Back to Alexandroupoli

May 24, 2019

An overnight electrical storm left some lingering rain in the morning, but the afternoon was expected to be drier. While sitting at dinner last night, I had grabbed a map and planned a bike ride of about 25 miles to explore the island. There was a ferry at 18:30 on Fridays (1), so I had the day to explore. I double checked on-line at breakfast, and only the morning ferry run was shown; I pedaled to the port to check. 

Rather whimsically, they had two schedules posted to the door of the Ferry ticket office: one with and one without the 18:30 Friday departure. Upon enquiry, I learned there was only the morning ferry, and no more ferries until Sunday (two days away). While I liked the island, there are other places to see, so I reluctantly took the morning ferry back to Alexandrpuoli. Alexandroupoli is a small port town, with a recently-renovated seaside promenade lined with Cafés and tavernas.

(1) At this time of year, there is only 1 ferry scheduled per day, except on Fridays, when there are 2 ferry runs, and Saturday, when there are none. 

The Ferry at Samothraki
Thunderheads lingering over Mt. Fengari
Arrival at Alexandroupoli

Passengers waiting to board the ferry back to Samothraki

Samothraki, view from Alexandroupoli


No comments:

Post a Comment