Saturday, June 3, 2017

Caucuses etc: to Vilnius

Saturday, June 7, 2017

I took the night flight to Oslo where I had a 3.5 hour layover before connecting to Vilnius, Lithuania. I looked at the rail map in the airport terminal. There is a town nearby called Eidsvoll with trains from the airport every half hour. I guessed they would return every half hour as well, so I hopped on the train just to get out of the airport. 

Eidsvoll turned out to be a pleasant little town at the southern tip of Mjøsa Lake. I enjoyed a walk in the town and sitting by the lake watching the boats. As expected, there were trains every half hour back to the airport, where I caught the flight to Vilnius.

The airport in Vilnius was small, but very pleasant. It looked much more like a train station than an airport. The access to the airport was also very pedestrian friendly. I took a short walk to the train nearby for the 8 minute ride to central station.

After checking into the hotel, I went for a walk. As I was passing a non-descript church, organ music with a choir was drifting out. I poked my head in for a listen. Inside the Holy Spirit Church there was an elaborate ceremony going on with singing and incense (capes and drapes and smells and bells). The church was jam-packed with people. Although the service was in Lithuanian, I thought I knew where we were in the service, but something seemed a bit off. I also noticed that a bishop was presiding and there were a large number of well dressed kids in their early teens. I had stumbled upon a Catholic confirmation ceremony.

After dinner, I walked to the top of fortress hill. The hill and the bend in the river were defensible and fortifiable, which is why Vilnius is located where it is.

Lake Mjøsa at Eidsvoll, Norway
The Arrivals Hall at Vilnius Airport
Holy Spirit Church, Vilnius
The Archbishop Performing the Confirmation Ceremony
Fortress Hill at Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment